24
Aug
2011

This week I have repeated another protein assay with different samples collected from pig intestines. The assay has shown that the optimum dilution of the samples is 1:100, which also fits perfectly into the standard curves that have been created. Additional Western Blots will be performed over the next few weeks. Continue reading »

Posted in Uncategorized | 11 Comments
23
Aug
2011

This week in the lab I continued with my project once again. I started the week the same as last week extracting DNA from a further 48 blood samples using the robot again.  I then continued with the PCR on 16 samples and I managed to obtain three positives from these samples, which have were then sent off for DNA sequencing. I received the results back from the previous positive PCR samples and they did not contain any Bartonella DNA, but were positive for human DNA.

To try to improve the PCR’s I changed the brand of polymerase enzyme to one called Takera. I used the first 26 samples and re did the PCR and gel electrophoresis with the new enzyme. This then meant that the positive results came out as negative, so showed that there had indeed been human DNA in the samples and not the Bartonella DNA I was looking for. This week I also helped some of the other members of the lab with running gel electrophoresis on their projects.

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off
17
Aug
2011

This week in the lab I carried on with my project testing dog blood DNA from Canada. I extracted DNA from the next 48 samples using the robot which automatically extracts the DNA from the blood samples. All you have to do is place the blood samples, reagents and tips into a container and then the robot automatically extracts the DNA. I then quantified the DNA using the nanodrop instrument. I then went on to perform PCR’s reactions on the samples and visualised the PCR amplicons using gel electrophoresis.  However, out of 48 samples only one was positive.  The positive sample was been sent for DNA sequencing. Continue reading »

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off
10
Aug
2011

On Monday, I was assigned to the project I will be working on for my time in the lab. I am going to be testing blood samples from dogs in Canada for Bartonella. I had been giving hundreds of samples which all need testing, so it should keep me busy for a while!!! I will have to extract DNA from the samples and then run PCR’s on the samples. Continue reading »

Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments
10
Aug
2011

This week has been very busy in the lab. I have been able to use some of the skills that I have learnt in the Biochemistry practicals at University of Surrey, so this was really good. The beginning and the end of the week were spent cutting tissues and staining the tissues in order to perform mast cell counts. I have made about 150 slides already! Continue reading »

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off